The main line of the Formartine and Buchan Railway left the GNSR at Dyce Junction and ran to Peterhead. The section from Dyce via Ellon and Maud to Mintlaw opened to both passengers and goods on 18/7/1861 and that from Mintlaw to Peterhead on 3/7/1862.A branch was provided from Maud Junction to Fraserburgh, opening on 24/4/1865. This became the Fraserburgh Section of GNSR after it was absorbed by the latter on 30/7/1866. Trains to Peterhead and Fraserburgh used to divide in the sidings south of Maud Junction.Passenger services were withdrawn by the Scottish Region of British Railways on 4/10/1965 as part of the Beeching cuts. Goods trains continued to operate to Peterhead until 8/10/1979.The track was subsequently lifted and much of the route now forms the Formartine and Buchan Way.