The line from Maud to Fraserburgh was built by the Formartine and Buchan Railway as a branch off its main line (Dyce to Peterhead via Maud). It was absorbed by GNSR on 30/7/1866, becoming its Fraserburgh Section.GNSR became part of L&NER at Grouping and subsequently of the Scottish Region of British Railways upon nationalisation. The Section was closed to passengers on 4/10/1965, but remained in use for goods until it closed completely on 8/10/1979, notwithstanding the substantial freight traffic being generated by the nascent offshore oil and gas industry. In 1897, a line was projected, by local herring fishery interests, from Fraserburgh to the village of St. Combs, five miles to its east. The Act of 8/9/1899 authorised it to be built and run by GNSR. The St. Combs Light Railway was partly unfenced and subject to a speed limit of 25 MPH. Although authorised for electric haulage, it ran as steam from its opening on 1/7/1903 (goods/passengers). It was the last line built by GNSR. A steam railcar was unsuccessfully trialled from November 1905. The Section closed on 3/5/1965.