Home The Railway The Association Images Contacts
Cruden Section
GNSRA is a registered charity no. SC050156  :  Website v2.23  © 1999 to 2020 GNSRA Boddam Longhaven Bullers o’Buchan Platform Cruden
The Buchan branch was built by GNSR, and opened on  2/8/1897 (goods/passengers). The route ran from a  junction at Ellon to Boddam (south of Peterhead.  From  Ellon,  connections were available to Aberdeen. Express  services ran in connection with the GNSR’s Hotel at  Cruden Bay. The line was closed to passengers by LNER on  31/10/1932, although goods traffic continued on both the line and the Tramway until 7/11/1945.
Locomotives Coaches Wagons Lines & Stations Signalling Buses People Bibliography Buchan Section 
P
P = Peterhead Harbour of Refuge Railway (aka  Peterhead Quarry Railway).  In 1884, the  Admiralty commenced the construction of a  gigantic breakwater across Peterhead Bay.  A 2.5 mile railway was built to carry granite from the  quarry on Stirling Hill, near Boddam.  The line  was lifted in the 1950’s.
C = Cruden Bay Tramway.  From June 1899, an electric  tramway (gauge 3ft 6.5 ins) ran the mile from Cruden  Bay station to the Hotel and golf course and was used  for passenger, goods and laundry traffic. Goods services consisted of one up and one down train per day. 
C
Interesting simulation of trip up Cruden Section