Home The Railway The Association Images Contacts
Alford Valley Section
GNSRA is a registered charity no. SC050156  :  Website v2.23   1999 to 2020 GNSRA Alford Valley
The Alford Valley branch was built by the nominally-  independent Alford Valley Rly, although GNSR subscribed £15,000 of capital and provided most of the Board.  Traffic was disappointing and, by 1862, the AVR could no  longer meet its liabilities.  The GRSR gave a guarantee  for its mortgage debts, which lasted until the passing of  the Amalgamation Act, 1866, which integrated AVR into  GNSR.  The line opened on 21/3/1859 (goods/passengers) and  closed on 2/1/1950 (passengers), 7/11/1966 (goods).
Alford Light Rly (disused)
Locomotives Coaches Wagons Lines & Stations Signalling Buses People Bibliography Main Line   