Deeside Section
GNSRA is a registered charity no. SC050156  :  Website v2.33  © 1999 to 2020 GNSRA
Deeside Cambus O’May
The first part of the Deeside Line was from Ferryhill Junction to Banchory and opened on 8/9/1853 (goods/passengers).
The Deeside Line closed on 28/2/1966 (passengers), 18/7/1966 (goods west of Culter), 2/1/1967 (remainder)
The second part of the Deeside Line was from Banchory to Aboyne and opened on 2/12/1859 (goods/passengers).
The third part of the Deeside Line (the “Aboyne and Braemar” Railway) was from Aboyne only to Ballater and opened on 17/10/1866 (goods/passengers). As this was after the Lease came into effect, GNSR ran the Ballater trains from the start. The fact that Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and his wife had, in 1852, bought what later became Balmoral Castle may - or may not - have anything to do with the fact that the Deeside Line never extended beyond Bridge of Gairn (a mile west of Ballater).
The Deeside Railway - attempting to get better terms from Scottish North Eastern Railway (SNER) for the latter’s proposed Scottish Northern Junction Railway, from Stonehaven to Kintore (which would cross the Deeside at Culter) offered to lease itself to GNSR. This idea was seized upon by GNSR, as a way of obstructing the SNER. The Lease was for 999 years from 1/9/1866.
Deeside Section video