Home The Railway The Association Images Contacts
Keith Junction Station
GNSRA is a registered charity no. SC050156  :  Website v2.24   1999 to 2020 GNSRA Next station DOWN Next station UP Main Line Map You could board either of these units at Keith and though heading in opposite directions,, they would both go to Elgin A pair of Cravens units rest at Keith Junction in April 1968, the platform supporting columns were apparently reused after demolition for the present Huntly Station. The Inverness plough clears the line through platform 1 at Keith in Jan 1960.  No doubt to everyone's delight except the porter who has just cleared the platform. Keith Junction station buildings Jan.1960 Keith Junction in the early 60's with two mean green machines aka a Cravens unit on the left and a Swindon unit for Inverness on the right Swindon Class 120 set 301 does little business at platform 4 Keith Jnctn 20 May 1978 Keith Junction in the early 60's with two mean green machines aka a Cravens unit on the left and a Swindon unit for Inverness on the right Locomotives Coaches Wagons Lines & Stations Signalling Buses People Bibliography
Two Highland Railway routes connected with GNSRA at Keith Junction.  These were the line from Elgin (now the present Network Rail route), which connects to Inverness and - in 1884 - the Highland branch to Buckie, which eventually had two separate stations. On the same day that the Highland branch line opened, GNSRA was granted an Act to build its Moray Coast Railway, which effectively doomed the Highland route, although the Highland did extend its line to a junction with GNSRA at Portessie. In 1915, as an emergency measure, the Highland track was lifted between Buckie and Aultmore, to be used elsewhere for the War effort.  The Portessie to Buckie and Aultmore to Keith stubs remained open (there was a distillery at Aultmore). After the Grouping in 1923, the London, Midland & Scottish (LMSR) relaid the removed section, but then decided against re-opening it.  The Portessie to Buckie stub closed in 1944, but the Keith to Aultmore stub lasted until 1966.