Lossiemouth Harbour Line
GNSRA is a registered charity no. SC050156  :  Website v2.34  © 1999 to 2020 GNSRA
James Brander (Laird of Pitgaveny) built the first harbour at Lossiemouth for cargo boats in 1839. This also attracted the fishing fleet, so a second Basin was built. The Morayshire Railway built its terminus near the harbour. Its first locomotives - shipped from Neilson of Glasgow - were unloaded there on 01/08/1852. Four days later, a train was carrying Captain Wynne, the Government Engineer, on his Inspection. The Railway opened to goods and passenger traffic on 10/08/1852. John and James Grant of the Glen Grant Distillery were both early major investors in the Morayshire Railway. They wanted to import coal and export whisky via the harbour and so supported the building of the line from Rothes to Lossiemouth. In the event, the later connection of the Railway towards the south, via the GNSR, provided better routes for whisky export. Coal import proved more successful, as did the export of agricultural products - in particular potatoes, for which the Morayshire Railway built hopper wagons for ease of unloading into waiting ships. Prior to WW2, trackwork and operations were rationalised and only the track on the seaward (eastern) side remained in use. This served the oil fuel tanks of Arthur Duthie & Company and the wooden warehouses that provided accommodation for coal merchants, a collection of buildings known locally as “The Sheddies”. When the Railway closed to passenger traffic in 1964, goods continued for a further two years and the line to “The Sheddies” was often worked by an EE Type 1, later a Class 20, locomotive.
Spy photograph taken by Junkers 88 Go to station page