Home The Railway The Association Photo Gallery Contacts
Buchan Section
Unless otherwise specified, all items  1999 to 2020 GNSRA All Other Rail Sections Locomotives Coaches Wagons Lines & Stations Signalling Buses People Bibliography
The main line of the Formartine and Buchan Railway left the GNSR at Dyce Junction and ran to Peterhead. The section from Dyce via Ellon and Maud to Mintlaw opened to both passengers and goods on 18/7/1861 and that from Mintlaw to Peterhead on 3/7/1862. A branch was provided from Maud Junction to Fraserburgh, opening on 24/4/1865. This became the Fraserburgh Section of GNSR after it was absorbed by the latter on 30/7/1866.  Trains to Peterhead and Fraserburgh used to divide in the sidings south of Maud Junction. EDITING NOTE.  Mention (and show on map) Lenabo NAS branch. Passenger services were withdrawn by the Scottish Region of British Railways in 1965 as part of the Beeching cuts. Goods trains continued to operate to Peterhead until 1970. The track was subsequently lifted and much of the route now forms the Formartine and Buchan Way.
Peterhead
Newseat
(Harbour Goods)
Inverugie
Maud (Jct.)
Mintlaw
Longside
Auchnagatt Arnage Ellon Esslemont Logierieve Udny Newmachar Parkhill DYCE Buchan Buchan